Hello reader,
My name is Awa Badiane (she/her) I am a senior at Lawrence University majoring in Government and minoring in Ethnic Studies. I am currently taking Black Brown and Queer. I am taking this class in my final term at Lawrence and I am very excited for the content we are about to explore (I am also excited that this is my last term of Lawrence). Not sure if I can pin point on reason for taking the class most likely it because I've had the professor before and I love being in there class. I do not usually venture far away when I find professors I like, and thats on being Black at a PWI.
Back to being excited for this class, I am very excited to take this class and look at the way the intersection between being BIPOC and Queer play out and how being BIPOC is inherently queer.
Already in the first week of class we have explored all of this looking into queerness and childhoods for two Black queer artist and the queering of Native childhoods. In the queering of Native children we see how the systems that colonial American have implemented othered Native children making them outsiders, which is when boiled down what queerness is. Alongside this, when look at queerness in childhoods we saw how queerness looks in children and how again the social frameworks around queerness impact the lived experience of queer children. In this exploration we see how queer children have to "man up" and learn to stand up for themselves, essentially maturing them faster than non-queer children taking their childhood away from them.
Already the topics explored in the class have peak my interest and I am excited for the rest of the term!

No comments:
Post a Comment